Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Sharpening Pincushion

I found among some old notes the idea of using steel wool as a filler for a pincushion. The steel wool is supposed to be able to sharpen pins and needles.

I bought a $1 pack of steel wool balls at Walmart. I already had this pretty fabric. I took the top of a canister of cashews to draw out two circles in the fabric. I put the right sides together, and hand sewed it about 3/4 of the way around. I then turned it inside out (or outside in since the wrong side was on the outside), inserted the steel wool, and stitched it shut. I thought it looked a little plain, even with the pretty fabric, so I took some embroidery thread and stitched around the outside with what I think is called a blanket stitch.

One online pincushion I saw was stitched to look like a flower with beautiful red embroidery thread. I tried to do the same by stitching across the diameter. I didn't really like how it turned out, so I decided to stitch a random design. I had a time finding a button (Hancock Fabrics does not have the selection they used to.), but I like this one.

I'm not totally 100% happy with how it turned out, mainly because I should've stitched the circles more closely for a more snug fit. I don't think it turned out too badly, though.

I originally was going to offer this as a giveaway, but I'm not sure anybody would want it!
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PrintFriendly

Add This