Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Baby Doll Sleeping Bags

I saw a pin for a Baby Doll Sleeping Bag on Pinterest and thought that Gracie would love to have one like it.  The directions are very simple.  I did make some tweaks.  I didn't take any pictures of the process.  Well, I thought I did, but I couldn't find them.  Just go to that web page, and it'll help you.

I bought this fleece when it was on sale at Hancock Fabrics.  Gracie picked it out (even though she didn't know what she was picking it out for!).  I bought one yard which was enough to make two baby doll sleeping bags and have fabric left over for future projects.  We are giving the other sleeping bag away to Gracie's cousin the next time we see her.

When I initially was doing the sewing for this project, I ran into a problem with my sewing machine.  First it started making "clackity" noises.  Then the bobbin was pulling up multiple threads and hanging up.  After snipping through and investigating, I saw where it looked like the bobbin was bouncing up and down. I thought maybe a screw was loose.  I had Robert help me get into it (after trying unsuccessfully myself).  He didn't see where a screw was loose.  He put it back together and, this time, the bobbin wouldn't pull up at all!  I took it to Hancock Fabrics hoping someone there would be of help.  The lady I talked to, who was very knowledgeable about sewing, didn't have a clue.  I didn't know it, but they offer sewing machine repair.  A man comes and picks up the machine, takes a look at it at his home, consults with the owner by phone, and fixes it.  The man, Randy, was very helpful.  He said that I'd been using the wrong bobbin in my machine!  This is actually kind of funny because several months ago, my friend Valerie and I had a conversation about a sewing program she is doing with her daughter and she mentioned that it taught the importance of using the correct bobbin.  I remember saying, "Oh, I didn't know there were any differences in bobbins."  Instead of using Singer Class 66, I had been using Class 15.  OK, so now I know.  He had to replace the bobbin case assembly and he did a thorough clean and tune-up on it (quite needed since I'd never had anything done on it in the 15 years of owning it).

It didn't take long at all to sew these up (done in one night after I put Gracie to bed).  One modification in particular that I did was using a wide bias tape on the folded-down "sheet".  The original sleeping bag does not have a folded down sheet.  I added that because I thought it would be cuter.  One of the sleeping bags has the bias tape only on the top part of the sheet, the other one has it on all three sides (because I didn't like my stitches on the sides and wanted to cover them up).  I made the sleeping bags large enough for Gracie's largest baby doll.  The doll you see here is a small doll probably no more than about 6 or 8" long (with a giant head).

I laid out the sleeping bags with two of Gracie's babies for a surprise (even though she will only get to keep one).  She likes them.  In the picture below, she is going "night-night" like the dolls (please excuse the diaper-flashing); I think she is also patting the floor to get ME to go night-night with them!  She also tried putting her feet into the bag herself.


Original Source:
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PrintFriendly

Add This